Grandma’s Cabin

Newland Welcome Sign
Okay, honestly I took this picture on my way home from the cabin.

I am back from a great time at my Grandma’s cabin in Newland, NC! The plan was for me to leave Friday morning at 8am and get there by 10:30am. Well, for some reason I could NOT sleep Thursday night. I’m still not exactly sure why. Some combination of what we ate for dinner, the fact that our room stunk from painting the walls, Aaron snoring, and I might have drank coffee too late in the day I really can’t remember. All I know is I got out of bed around 3am and took some blankets and my pillow and moved into the living room to see if that would help. I finally fell asleep around 3:30 and woke up around 6 or 6:30. I went back to bed for a little bit after Aaron left. The point is, I didn’t leave on time. I left at 9. My cousin, Jena, called that morning to talk about me going to the cabin and to catch up on “stuff”. She was always my NC buddy when our Grandma would take pairs of grandkids to the cabin each summer when we were growing up.
So anyway, I got to the cabin around 11:15am. My grandma was out finishing up some errands so I talked to Grandpa Bob for a while as he worked on the fire and shared some wisdom with me. He always has something to share! Some of the family rolls their eyes at this but I like it. I figure he has lived a lot more life than me so maybe I’ll learn something.

Grandpa Bob
Grandpa Bob coming in from the cold.

Grandma Bonnie arrived within 15 minutes or so and asked Grandpa if he had lunch ready yet. Har har har. Then she gave everyone the game plan. She would put lunch in the oven and we would go down to the garden to dig up some potatoes. They saved their potato digging until after I got there so I could help. Haha. I didn’t mind. I like being in the garden. OH! One of the first things my Grandma announced when she arrived and after saying hello was that it was going to snow tomorrow. Uh, what?! I was not prepared for that. Oh well. Needless to say, it was pretty chilly. So we all bundled up to head to the garden. Then we piled into the golf cart (Dinah the dog, too) and bee-bopped down to the garden.
(I just have to pause and say writing this post is making me laugh because anytime Jena and I would go to the cabin with Grandma and Grandpa when we were younger, Grandma would always tell us to make sure we keep a journal! Haha. I thought to myself as I was leaving the cabin this time around that I better hurry up and write or type everything that happened so I don’t forget!)
We spent an hour to an hour and a half in the garden I think. We dug up a row of potatoes. Grandpa gathered some corn. We got some green beans, too, and then right before we left we grabbed some collard greens. As we were digging potatoes Grandma and I talked about anything and everything. I think the conversation really got going when I asked my Grandma what she would say some of her best decisions or investments of time or money were and then what her regrets were or things she wished would have happened differently. That just snowballed into all kinds of conversations that continued the whole time I was there. faith, politics, our family, our country, etc.
(Pause to take the dogs out!)
Honestly, I was hungry when I arrived at the cabin so I was starving at this point. We were about done anyway but I told my Grandma I was dying and needed food haha. So we hopped back on the golf cart with our boxes and buckets of produce and headed back up to the cabin. On the way back (and the way to the garden, now that I think about it.) Grandma pointed out little landmarks in the creek that we all named as kids; places like Picnic Rock! I remember going there to write in my journal. Once we got back to the cabin we ate lunch. Acorn squash, potatoes, and cornbread, I think. The potatoes were from the garden but they were the ones we had just picked. We talked some more over lunch.
Then Grandma and I headed out to thrift stores after lunch. Oh, that got started because soon after I arrived that morning I realized I totally forgot to pack any jeans so I was going to ask my Grandma about finding something cheap at a thrift store. She said she wanted to go to a few anyway so we could make a trip. We asked Grandpa if he wanted to stay or go. Not surprisingly, he chose to stay so we said goodbye and headed out. I think it stayed in the 40s all day Friday, somewhere around there. The main store Grandma wanted to take me to, a thrift store in Crossnore, was closed, so we moved on to another one. I can’t remember the name of that one. Grandma gave me some money to spend. I really appreciated that and it made me smile because my mom tells me every now and then how Grandma likes to slip her and my aunt a little spending money sometimes when they go shopping.
So at this second store I eventually found some jeans I liked that were long enough. I also ended up finding some boots and a skirt. All for 11.50, I think. I was trying things on for quite a while and kept finding more and more to try on so Grandma had finished her browsing and was waiting on me. We moved onto the next store she wanted to visit, Ram’s Rack, and they were closed too. We decided to try again the next day. We ran into the grocery store, Ingles, really quick to get some soda and ice cream.
When we got back home we got our stuff inside and then headed out to a different little garden closer to the cabin. We were hunting for green tomatoes because we were going to do fried green tomatoes for dinner! We also picked up some apples that had already fallen off the tree on the way into the cabin.
So, that night I made fried green tomatoes for us for dinner. That was my first time cooking them and eating them. They were actually pretty good. We had cornbread and we might have had one other thing with dinner but I can’t remember. We talked about all kinds of things over dinner again and moved into doing dishes and turning on the tv to listen to O’Reilly in the background. We got to talking about something and Grandma busted out her Bible dictionary and Interlinear Greek Bible and a guide to the Old Testament. Eventually we made some rootbeer floats and settled in front of the tv. Everybody but me fell asleep watching tv and reading books. Hmm…

My Room at the Cabin
My Room at the Cabin

I slept really well that night but I woke up in the morning sick. My throat was killing me but I still had energy at that point so luckily it didn’t ruin the trip. I had been fighting off getting sick for what seems like two or three weeks leading up to this trip so I think I was finally relaxed enough that my body thought it could be sick without slowing me down in the middle of all my busyness. At least that’s what my mom says about when we would get sick on school breaks! Our bodies were just waiting for us to slow down so they could have time to be sick without messing up our schedules.
Anyway, back to the trip. Everyone grabbed their own breakfast that morning. I had a banana and an oatmeal cream pie. I think Grandpa had donuts. Grandma said she usually tries to have granola bars and fruit these days. We decided we would get ready and do our thrift store shopping first and then come back and have my sewing lesson for the last few hours I was there. Oh yeah, I brought a sewing machine my grandma gave me to have her teach me. My mom has sat down with me a few times over my life but I’ve had a slow start with sewing so I decided to bring one of my sewing machines with me for this trip and get some more experience.
So we all finished our breakfasts and I got myself ready to go. We said goodbye to Grandpa Bob again and headed back out to Crossnore. Grandpa Bob was born in a hospital out there. I ended up spending the most time looking at furniture because Aaron and I have been looking for a few things. I found this really cool enclosed desk cabinet thing. Really technical, I know. I don’t know what to call those things. From the outside it looks like it could be a wardrobe or entertainment center but when you open it up it has a desk set up inside. Anyway, I really liked it so I told Aaron about it and took some pictures. I was coming back to Newland the very next Wednesday to pick my Grandma up and I was thinking I could come back in the Jeep instead of the Honda and bring it home! Me and my crazy ideas. But Aaron was good with it so I think that’s what we’ll do. We just need to check to make sure one part of it isn’t broken first. I tried on some clothes there but nothing worked out. My grandma and I were supposed to meet at the books at the end so we headed over there and I found a book Aaron and I had been wanting and a few others for me. We checked out and headed to our next stop: I guess it was the Ram’s Rack. This was a nice little thrift store too. The one at Crossnore was really nice. At Ram’s Rack we looked around for a while and I ended up finding 3 skirts and a few books. My Grandma found where they had free magazines to take so I picked out some. Then we checked out and headed back to the cabin! Well we stopped at the grocery store first to get some barbecue chicken for lunch.
When we got home Grandpa had the greens cooked. The chicken we picked up was already warm so we sat down and had greens, chicken, and cornbread. Oh, I forgot about this earlier but I told my grandparents about having honey on the cornbread at our first meal and they liked it. That idea was from Aaron so I’ll have to let him know.

Sewing with Grandma
Sewing with Grandma

After lunch we set up our sewing machines. Grandma showed me how to get the thread set up. Then I had to pick out fabric because she was going to teach me how to do a 9-square piece. I guess it is basically quilting in a sense but you can repeat the squares to make different things like place mats, table runners, etc. So anyway, I took forever to pick my fabrics. Hey, that was a difficult decision! Even thinking about it now there were still different color combinations I could have picked that I liked. Hmm…
We worked on my project until I had to leave (about two hours). It was a lot of fun. I am slowly getting more comfortable with everything that goes into sewing – all the measuring and cutting and planning it out and then actually sewing the stuff. I got a blister from the scissors I was using. Bummer. They were right-handed and pretty stubborn as far as movement goes. You wouldn’t think the right-hand left-hand thing would make a difference but it hurt pretty bad. I was close to tears. Not to complain, but I wouldn’t have expected it to hurt so bad either. Anyway, I left everything set up there and I’m going to work on it more when I bring my Grandma back after my mom’s wedding, then take it all home with me.
I already had my car packed at that point and Grandma Bonnie and Grandpa Bob had loaded my car up with potatoes, canned green beans, and canned jam. We said goodbye and I headed by the Crossnore thrift store on my way out to have them hold the desk for me. Once I was headed for home I drove through a Wendy’s for dinner and was on my way. I was pretty tired at that point and feeling pretty sick!
I got home and Aaron was out finishing grocery shopping. He did it this week since I was gone over payday and he also made a big dent in our apartment painting. He got through most of a to-do list I left him and that was all with him finding out he would have to work some on Saturday. Once he got back we unloaded both the cars and spent the rest of the night swapping all of our stories from our two days apart, haha. There was a lot to tell!
I am really glad I got to make this trip to the cabin. It was a much-needed escape and it reminded me how grateful I am for all my family and how much I love them. I was glad Jena called me, too. Now I’ll get to see everyone in less than a week for my mom’s wedding!
See you guys soon. Oh, and it did flurry a little bit Saturday morning! It was pretty.


2 thoughts on “Grandma’s Cabin

  1. Really enjoying your writing, Carly! Sounds like you had a great time at Grandma’s! Brings back lots of wonderful memories.

    Hope you get to feeling better. Can’t wait to see you in a few days. Load up on vitamin C!
    Love you bunches!

  2. This is my favorite post in the whole wide world! If you could see the stupid smile on my face, and tears in my eyes you’d laugh. I wish I could have spent more time @ the cabin when I was just there! We didn’t even make it back to the garden. I walked to (andrew cunanan) rock but that was as far as I got before I had to turn around.

    Did I tell you that we went to lunch @ The Tartan when I was there? I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten there at least once every time I’ve been up there! That place is something else.

    We should talk more often!

    Love you bunchesssss

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s